SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Harriet Kasow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 10:23:00 +0300
Shalom
I would like to put in my 2 shekels worth about the film vs video
discussion. There is no question that the best way to see a film
is in a theater. I believe the multi-plexes don't count as legitmate
film viewing venues. I also think that the way to read a book is
in hard cover with good typography and design. Sheer heaven! To go
to the theater and be part of the audience's response and perhaps
have an influence on the performance is nirvana. To attend a concert
performance where a former lover of the soloists presents flowers
in the middle of the concer t and then disappears is never reflected
in audio or disc. However, television and or video has brought to
the mass audience the possibility of viewing and experiencing
cultural activities as has never existed previously. An example
of this cultural enhancement is the comment by James Levine the conductor
for the Metropolitan Opera which broadcasts an opera a week is that
the requests for more and newer opera has come from parts of the U.S.
that has very little access to seeing opera live. I forgot to mention
that in lieu of access to live performances one can see the very
best on video not a bad alternative.
 The 12th Film Festival in Jerusalem is currently taking place
and as always there is a wonderful selection of  films and
documentaries. I will report on a few in
another post. Gotta do a little work.
Peace & security to all
Harriet Kasow [log in to unmask]
Video Librarian