SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 5

Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 17:58:56 -0500
Kristine:

Just off the top of my head, Hitchcock uses this device most effectively
in North by Northwest.  Leo Carrol is speaking to Cary Grant at an
airport and the roar of the engines etc. drown out Carrol's "speech."  It
is a triumph of Hitch's economy of style in that Carrol could not possibly
relate the entire tale of espionage, coverup, and subterfuge in so short
an amount of screen time.  Rather than relate the whole sorted tale (and
take up valuable narrative time) we see Carrol and Grant discussing the
situation without hearing any of it.

Also, Mel Brooks (who loves to play with diegetic and non-diegetic sound)
uses a school bell to great comic effect in the "Welcome Sherrif"
sequence of Blazing Saddles.

Kevin Holwey