SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:54:53 -0600
Mike Frank writes:
"Although in his view those of us who use video are not criminals, the
procedure itself still "is a crime."  Perhaps so, but since his argument has
largely to do with a) size of image; b) ambient light and sounds; and c) the
viewer's control of the watching experience, i want to raise the following:

        WHEN I SHOW A VIDEO OF A MOVIE TO MY CLASS, I USE A VIDEO PROJECTION
        SYSTEM, I SHOW IT IN THE VERY SAME ROOM, COMPLETELY DARKENED, THAT IS
        ALSO USED FOR 16MM PROJECTION OF FILMS; THE PROJECTED IMAGE TAKES UP
        ALMOST THE SAME SIZE ON THE SCREEN AS THAT FROM THE 16 MM PROJECTOR;
        THE ROOM IS EXACTLY AS DARK AS FOR FILM; THE KIDS SIT IN THE SAME
        SEATS; AND THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER THE IMAGE; IT RUNS
        TILL I STOP IT."

This is a good question.  The growth of "home entertainment systems"--with
huge tv screens, stereo sound and so forth--portends the possibility of
a home viewing experience that is like going to the movies but (in general
) more comfortable, while also being more private.  The plus is avoiding
talkers, munchers, plastic unwrappers, cellular phones and the like.  The
minus is the avoidance of a real communal experience.
        And, of course, for the foreseeable future the possession of such
systems will be limited to those who can afford them (and I'm not one of
them)!

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)