SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 5

Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 17:48:27 -0500
Much as we'd all like to have access to clean, reliable prints of the
films we use in the courses we teach, it's not always (economically
or technically)practical to do this.

There is a certain element of pragmatism in any teaching endeavor
(trade-offs re: films to show, facilities to use, texts books etc).  I
have used video tapes in a number of courses for very pragmatic reasons
but not without student and self-criticism.

Given the availablilty of film on tape and disc, as well as the economic
and technological advantages of film in non-filmic media, instructors and
film enthusiasts alike must make tough choices.  I'd rather share these
films with students via video, than not share these films at all.

Kevin Howley
Ph D Student
Dept. of Telecommunications