SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 5

From:
Gene Stavis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 15:13:55 -0700
----------------------------- Begin Original Text
-----------------------------

Will "new" technologies (e.g., HDTV, cdrom,
video-on-demand) help to alleviate these problems of resolution, aspect
ratio, and availability?
----------------------------- End Original Text -----------------------------

As we have seen, even with tape and disc, availability comes and goes.
Technology will not eliminate supply and demand.

I have been hearing for over 30 years how digital technology will replace
film. It has not happened yet, although one hears the same promises of it
being "just around the corner". Resolution will be, for the forseeable
future, inferior to film.

My suspicion is that film will not be "replaced" anytime soon. However, the
reality is that for most people, tape and disc will be the only viable
options.

Less popular films will always be harder to find than current commercial
products. Technology will not make this better anytime soon.

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts