SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
Nina Leibman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 12:33:38 -0700
Dear Krin -- Two films come to mind immediately.   The first is LAURA, in
which the title song plays throughout the film (on jukeboxes, phonographs --
as "Laura's favorite song), etc.  The second is GIDGET, in which the title
song, sung by the 4 freshman (?) -- could have been the 4 preps -- is sung
on a transistor radio at the beach when Gidget's resting in the hut of the
Big Kahuna.  Debbie Reynolds sings the theme from TAMMY smack dab in the
middle of the movie and I think it's already played on the credits.  There is
a lot of this.  I often regard it as a distancing device -- a kind of self-
consciousness that throws us out of the film and makes us question all manner
 of illusion, self-deception, etc.  Best, N. Leibman