SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
David Tetzlaff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 21:27:28 -0500
I think the 'all style' rap on the Coens is just critical shortsightedness.
Make a film with up-front visual flair or place thematic development
somewhere other than straightforward narrative and critics will deem it
'empty', c.f. Blade Runner. The Coens may not have much 'heart' - they seem
pretty cerebral, but Kubrick is a good comparison - not much heart but
certainly not 'all style.' Moral seriousness? Miller's Crossing is about as
serious a contemplation of morality (and, of course "Ethics") as one is
likely to find on the big screen. Intellect? Barton Fink is smarter than
Full Metal Jacket. perhaps what troubles the critics is the Coens
reflexivity. They're cynical enough to include stuff in their pictures that
question their own roles as image-makers and Hollywood outsiders. Barton
Fink is a subject of ridicule, but he also represents the Coens in a way,
being a creative person amidst business people. Similarly, it is
significant that Bernie, the pitiable but slimy 'villain' of Miller's
Crossing is a Jew. I could go on, but the point is the substance is there,
you just have to look for, and more importantly recognize that in the
postmodern world a sense of irony does not necessarily preclude
seriousness, but may even be required for it.

Besides, the boys went to my high school! (Go Park!!!)

djt