SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 3

From:
Murray Pomerance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 1995 17:52:52 -0400
On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Earl Jackson, Jr. wrote:

> She steals the money the minute she drives past the bank and out of town. If
> that's not a sufficient definition of steal, certainly buying another car
> with part of the money should suffice. Earl jackson, Jr.
>
> ----
> To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

to Earl:  See, it's not you and it's not me who's in a position to define
theft in this case.  It's the man Marion works for, or the bloke who
gives him the money--or, in their place, the police.  But these guys
don't lay a charge because they don't know the money's gone yet.  Hitch
is playing to and with the moral sensibilities of the audience that will
see her take the money and leave town--and will also neglect to notice
that she has second thoughts and is planning to return.  I urge you to
look at those second thoughts as they are filmed.