SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Kal Alston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 20:08:22 -0600
Murray Pomerance's post on actors "acting" characters "unlike" themselves
(and his brain teaser about Sigourney Weaver playing Billie Holiday)
reminded me of an item I read in some entertainment mag last
year--Hollywood producer is getting pitched various concepts for script
development.  One of them, a treatment of a story about Harriet Tubman and
the Underground Railroad, catches his eye. He becomes excited and starts
throwing out names, and he sugggests Michelle Pfeiffer for Harriet. (MP was
supposedly not amused by the suggestion). (and, on the lighter side, wasn't
there something of a flap in the marine biology community because of a
"miscast" Andre.  sea lion --  seal ?)

 One thing that I do see from the audience perspective is whether it is
distracting.  I personally spent half the time at that movie with Keanu
Reeves as Siddhartha (?) , wondering WHY, OH WHY Keanu?.  They got real
lamas for heavens sake.  I found the fact of it completely disconcerting
and made it impossible for me to watch the rest of it with complete
attention--maybe this is a function of casting in general.

kal

kal alston
ed pol studies/ women's studies
uiuc