SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 1

From:
Kal Alston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 12:57:33 -0600
In search of favors:

1. Does anyone have a copy of/know where I could get a copy of  VivAcious
Lady????(1938, George Stevens, d.) with ginger rodgers and jimmy stewart.

2. Does anyone's local or other affiliates carry Head of the Class?

If you can help me out, please contact me privately through e-mail

thanks.

BTW, on the race issue, I used to be in the theatre, and one thing that was
endlessly annoying (as a Black actress) was that there was always some
reason that I couldn't quite fit playing a lead, but white actresses could
play all manner of nationalities--best worst example--Flower Drum Song
(problematic in anycase)  All of the characters in the musical are Chinese
or Chinese-American.  All of the actors, except for me, were caucasian.  It
was widely admitted that I blew them away at the audition for Linda Low
(the bad girl lead), but the director was worried about the
"aesthetics"(including having a Black woman kissing 2 white men--all of
whom are playing Chinese people)  This was not "color-blind" casting--it
was very deliberate elision and appropriation with racism at its
core.(don't cry for me, argentina, i was younger then and went on with my
life)  I think that a lot of actors got caught up in arguing about
authenticity when the real fight was over the dis/appearance of the
non-white actor in ANY role, not even for non-white characters.  It still,
for example, is a big deal in films and tv(and gets played up) when a
non-white actor manages to convince the powers that be to cast him/her in a
role originally written for a white actor.

kal

kal alston
ed pol studies/ women's studies
uiuc