SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 5

From:
Missy Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 1995 11:26:19 -0600
On Sun, 28 May 1995, David Desser wrote:

> Missy Price may have been thinking of THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN (Frank
> Capra, 1933). Sexual tension/attraction/romance betwen "white" and Asian
> was a popular motif of films SINCE THE SILENT ERA. DeMille's THE CHEAT
> (1915) is certainly the most famous, along with Griffith's BROKEN BLOSSOMS
> (1919). On this issue see Gina Marchetti, ROMANCE AND THE 'YELLOW PERIL'
> and various essays, including mine, in, Lester Friedman, ed., UNSPEAKABLE
> IMAGES.

Yes I was thinking of the Capra film... and from what I remember
from his autobiography the film did ok in the States but failed
in Britain where the populace was more offended that a white woman
would be attracted to an Asian man.

Melissa Lee Price (Dr. Missy) | [log in to unmask]
Dept. Jour/Telecom, Northwestern State University of Louisiana

I can't be a WASP, I'm Welsh.