SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
Tim Blackmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 12:20:52 CDT
On Apr 25, 12:16pm, Scott Allen wrote:
> Subject: Re: Vietnam Footage
> For an interesting view of how this image and scene were incorporated into
> popular culture of the time, you might want to view the Monkee's movie HEAD
> (1968), which repeatedly shows the scene within a sort of psychedelic
> montage accompanied by an anti-war song.
>
> Scott Allen
> Media Librarian                                    "Trying to stay afloat
in
> Midwestern State University                in the seas of technology"
>
>-- End of excerpt from Scott Allen

Scott -- I didn't know that one, but I remember Ralph Bakshi animated the
image over and o v e r again (as is his wont) in _American Pop_ (1979, as I
recall). Did a "nice" job (I use the term advisedly). Similar in raw style to
the animation recetly in _Natural Born Killers_ (the ethos is similar: barely
coherent images fueled by rage against a nation, and sentimentality for it
too).

Tim.
--
Tim Blackmore                                   "You may be big,
York University                                  but I'm small."