SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
Dana Bonstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 12:19:50 CDT
>My sincere query now as a non-film expert concerns "Toto le heros" which
>I saw for the first time on Bravo last night.  How could such a well done
>film have portrayed a TV playing in the hospital nursery fire scene, when
>the adult character is now in his late 60s or 70s?  Was this anachronism
>discussed in earlier writing on the film?  Did I misview this scene?  Any

I was also initially confused by the apparent temporal anachronisms in
TOTO. Notice, however, that the "old age" sequences carry numerous subtle
references to the fact that this is the _future_ (relative to our
"present") -- perhaps most explicitly in the news reportage of the
attempted assassination, but there are little visual cues here and there
(note the mass transportation scene: where on earth do you find a
subway/train compartment quite like the one depicted?)

If, on second viewing, you locate the childhood sequences in (probably) the
late 60s; the adult sequences in our present, and the old age scenes in
some mildly dystopian future, it all makes _wonderful_ and quite witty
sense.

Regards,

            Dana Bonstrom
   Director, New Media Initiative