SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 1995 12:19:38 CDT
Re:  Susan Denker's remark about how limited library budgets have become.
   This affects scholarship now and in the future, with publishers ever
more reluctant to print scholarly monographs (i.e., books with a limited
audience and seemingly little course adoption potential) and authors ever
more discouraged by decreasing sales.  My first book (published in 1983)
sold almost twice as many copies to libraries as most of my subsequent
books, despite being issued, originaly, in a very expensive cloth-only
format.  The decrease in library sales might, just might, also be
attributed to film and related faculty too insecure of their own positions
to lobby hard for purchases in their field.  If things are as bad as Ms.
Denker says, then they are very bad indeed.
      As for used books, there are some great bookstores in Chicago and
Madison, WI with excellent film book collections.  Perhaps some
Chicago-based or Wisconsin based subs. might provide some details.

DD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL  61801
217/244-2705