SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
Susan Denker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 13:41:11 CDT
University's library:

 I think this request was posted in good faith. You people with good film
study libraries would be amazed at the ABSENCE of books in other people's
libraries. My librarian has limited her purchase of film books to five
per year (for all courses.) Yes, we have nothing on Duras except the
second-hand script I donated!!
 Speaking of which, I'd like to know what national antiquarian film
bookstores people call when looking for out-of-print books. Phone numbers
would be particularly helpful in any replies to this query.

ORIG MESSAGE BITE:

> >university (Lamar University, Beaumont, Tx).  There was only one book
> >translated to english and it simply mentioned the author and the movie.
>
> I read this with a bit of shock and incredulity; the screenplay is by
> Marguerite Duras, one of the most celebrated, discussed, and (in English)
> translated authors of this century!  The film has been discussed in
> relation to her, its director Alain Resnais, the French New Wave, the
> European art cinema, etc. in great detail.  I'm more than willing to offer
> help, but I expect that those requesting help have at least scratched the
> surface first; and I can't believe that even Lamar University's library
> doesn't at least have copies of Duras novels, or studies of her like Sharon
> Willis's MARGUERITE DURAS: WRITING ON THE BODY (or many others).  None of
> these figures or topics are my main areas of knowledge, but I do know that
> there's a small mountain of information out there on this film and its
> creators.  Please look a little harder before putting out a general
> request.

 Susan Denker
 Museum School, Boston