SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
Corey Creekmur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 12:16:42 CDT

>        My wife is teaching world lit this term and in a week or two she is
>going to be teaching the screenplay to Hiroshima, Mon Amour.  She has had
>trouble finding any information on the author or the screenplay in the local
>university (Lamar University, Beaumont, Tx).  There was only one book
>translated to english and it simply mentioned the author and the movie.

I read this with a bit of shock and incredulity; the screenplay is by
Marguerite Duras, one of the most celebrated, discussed, and (in English)
translated authors of this century!  The film has been discussed in
relation to her, its director Alain Resnais, the French New Wave, the
European art cinema, etc. in great detail.  I'm more than willing to offer
help, but I expect that those requesting help have at least scratched the
surface first; and I can't believe that even Lamar University's library
doesn't at least have copies of Duras novels, or studies of her like Sharon
Willis's MARGUERITE DURAS: WRITING ON THE BODY (or many others).  None of
these figures or topics are my main areas of knowledge, but I do know that
there's a small mountain of information out there on this film and its
creators.  Please look a little harder before putting out a general
request.