SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 17:04:31 CDT
On Apr 12,  4:49pm, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Subject: Reservoir Dogs
> I recently saw reservoir dogs and it has to be the most bloody movie I've
> seen. Aside from the gore of it all, I thought the acting was superb, with
> Keitel and Penn at the forefront.
> Did anyone make anything out of the colors each charater represented? For
> example, why was Keitel Mr. White...so on. I'd be interested in your
>                                                           Chuck

Tarantino has said in interviews that one of the movies he paid homage to (or
borrowed from) when making RD was "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three," in
which a group of men hijack a subway train.  The criminals in that movie were
also named Mr. Brown, Mr. Blue, etc.  As in RD, the Pelham hijackers had
assembled only for that heist & didn't know each other personally.  Personally,
I think it's a great plot device, and a touch of humor too.

I thought the colors in RD made sense with the characters' personalities --
esp. Mr. Pink (who hated the kiddieness of it so much) and Mr. Blonde (who was
so cool he got James Dean's hair color instead of a crayon color).  Not so sure
about Mr. White, but he was sort of the veteran of the group, maybe that had
something to do with it.  Mr. Orange was a bit funny since he was bleeding
through the whole picture and might as well have been Mr. Red.  Mr. Blue, as I
remember, was already dead when the movie began -- as if he were a blue-skinned
stiff from the start.  Were there others?  These are simple explanations but I
think a lot of Tarantino's jokes are pretty straightforward.

Molly Olsen