SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 10:31:56 CDT
r.k ferncase recently wrote:
>I wish someone would address the fascination Mr. Tarantino exhibits in his
>films for male sodomy.  There is the prolonged suggestive rough-housing
>between Mr. Blonde and Nice Guy Eddie, as well as the graphic  if somewhat
>less-than-credible act perpetrated upon Marcellus by the gun shop
>proprietors.  American exploitationist cinema has always rested upon the
>twin pillars of sex and violence.  Of course Tarantino has a
>well-documented taste for violence; but he scarcely gives romantic sex its
>due.  He doesn't seem comfortable with heterosexual expressions of sex, but
>the scatology aspect of buggery seems to have immense appeal for him.

r.k.,
are you forgetting the scene when Butch returns from the fight to the motel
and has some tender (and i would say almost touching) moments with his
girlfriend? although the depiction is far from graphic (for once a movie
being *suggestive* ? ;) ),  the screen time of the scene is far longer than
the "sex" in the pawn shop scene you suggested. And if you consider True
Romance to be a Tarantino film (being as much the writer's product as it is
of the director (or for that matter editor or producer).  there is plenty of
heterosexual lovemaking in that film as well.

by the way since when is rape a sexual act?  i always thought it was just a se
verely degenerative form of  violence.

--james goldschmidt

(as a closing tangent, has there ever been any hollywood movie ever to show a
profit that has two gay characters expressing their feelings physically with
each other portrayed in a positive light? i.e. not getting "punished" in the
end..dying etc. without being an AIDS morality play??)