SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 3

From:
Robert Burnham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 10:30:49 CDT
On Apr 16, 10:12am, Rick Ferncase wrote:
> Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs
> I wish someone would address the fascination Mr. Tarantino exhibits in his
> films for male sodomy.  There is the prolonged suggestive rough-housing
> between Mr. Blonde and Nice Guy Eddie, as well as the graphic  if somewhat
> less-than-credible act perpetrated upon Marcellus by the gun shop
> proprietors.  American exploitationist cinema has always rested upon the
> twin pillars of sex and violence.  Of course Tarantino has a
> well-documented taste for violence; but he scarcely gives romantic sex its
> due.  He doesn't seem comfortable with heterosexual expressions of sex, but
> the scatology aspect of buggery seems to have immense appeal for him.
>
> What's going on here?
>
>-- End of excerpt from Rick Ferncase

Who is being exploited in "American exploitationist cinema"?  I think perhaps
the "scatalogical" issue you raise is an interesting one.  Human excrement as
metaphor for somethining bigger?  Seriously, though, Tarantino's
"well-documented" taste for violence is not a simply dismissed as some would
have it.  Sorry I am not able to address your query about the male sodomy
thing directly but perhaps, especially in PF (pulp fiction) the
mythic/hero/boxer's brush with sodomy is a reference to the entire "pulp"
miasma - that is, PULP: n. a soft, moist, shapeless mass or matter.

Food, er, ideas for thought.

--
R. Scott Burnham                        Whatcha makin' there?
York University                         Looks like sodie-pop -