SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 2

From:
Kristine Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:16:12 CDT
At 2:54 PM 4/6/95 -0500, Tony Williams wrote:
>From: Tony Williams
>English
>SIUC
> Despite reservations about Tarantino, PULP FICTION is undoubtedly superior to
>GERMINAL on all levels. GERMINAL is merely French Cinema;s mistaken attempt to
>capture Hollywood values with all star cast, big budget, and settings
>definitely antithetical to the naturalist and "cinematic" features already
>present in Zola's original novel.
> For what it is worth, most Zola scholars are appalled at the film, especially
>those attending the San Diego AIZEN (Emile Zola Society) conference where the
>faults of the film were really examined. Neither Gerard (referred to by AIZEN
>President Monique Fol as"Gerard Non-Pas Dieu!" nor Miou Miou, capable as they
>are, could ever approach the complexities of Zola Maheu and Maheude. Gerard is
>now international box-office. That's why he appeared in the film.

I did see Germinal in France, and was also amazed at how lame it was,
precisely for the reasons you mentioned. Interesting, isn't it, that the
inappropriateness of the cinematic choices in Germinal, so "antithetical to
the naturalist and "cinematic" features already
>present in Zola's original novel" as you say, are so perfectly present and
>appropriate in Pulp Fiction?

 Gerard's cast
>ing is the equivalent to selecting Tom Cruise to play Benjamin Franklin.

SHHHHHHH!!!!! For God's sake, don't give anyone any ideas....

Kris Butler
University of Minnesota