SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 1

From:
Emily Zants <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 15:09:51 CDT
The most spectacular cinematography I've ever seen! And he and his
daughter are a great acting team. Those of us who attended the Sarasota
French Film Festival last November got to see it; come join us at the
1995 Festival! Accoring to an announcement I received from UniFrance
Film, _Burnt by the Sun_ is scheduled for release in the United States
in June 1995. The Distributors were a little slow!
        The film lasts 152 minutes -- and I was sorry it was over! If
you haven't seen Mikhalkov's previous film, _Close to Eden_, available in
VHS format, you can get an idea of the kind of cinematography he does,
though that film is a historical peasant setting of Russia long ago,
whereas _Burnt by the Sun_ is Russia, with the officer's family living a
pastoral existence during the time of Stalin. Mikhalkov himself plays a
hero of the Bolshevik Revolution. We were told at the festival that he
decided to play the role himself so that his daughter would feel natural
playing the role of "daughter" in the film -- and the father-daughter
love that comes through is phenomenal. The ending is heart-breaking
tragedy and has all the brutality of the Stalin regime in it, and it
arrives and strikes only when the viewer's anguish has reached a peak:
such a beautiful, loving family realtionship can't really be destroyed,
can it? And throughout, the cinematography, the lighting!!!!
        You won't criticize the Academy for selecting this one!

! Prof. Emily Zants, U. of HI "... and the whole of Combray ... sprang !
! Tel: (808) 237-8082 into being, town and gardens alike, from !
! FAX: (808) 237-8284 my cup of tea." Proust !
! [log in to unmask] Speak of the Butterfly Effect!!!