SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:12:19 CST
>I can't but agree. I guess i put forward my opinion a bit harshly. I've been
>doing research on the research on media violence effects for a couple of years
>now, and what's irritating me the most with that research is the tendency of
>viewing media as something completely separated from
>other forms of everyday experience. Even worse is the supposition that one can
>on scientific grounds statistically isolate every possible influence on a
>persons life except the influence from the media. With this reduction of
>possible influences you're supposed to be able to measure the direct effects of
>media violence on personal aggression. This is not only a positivist,
>mechanistic view on the homo sapiens, it is also the paradigm of mass
>communication studies on media effects, which I find quite scary.
>
>Even more scary is the fact that there does exist quite a lot of well-put
>criticism on this kind of studies. Criticism that researchers within the
>paradigm with very few exceptions completely ignore...

Get on the next plane for Hollywood, because I know some industry lobbies
that will throw you a huge research grant and all the publicity you can
handle. Namely the movie and video games industries, of course; tobacco
and alcohol distributors; firearms manufacturers (probably); and a big,
wet kiss from advertising agencies. Er, you're not working for them already,
are you?

David Smith