SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

From:
Peter X Feng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 20:26:01 CST
> From: William Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
>
> No, I'm not referring to the middle film of the remarkable trilogy. I'm
> talking about the fact that, at least to the best of my recollection, not
> a single person of color stepped up to the podium to accept an award,
> with the exception of the special award that Quincy Jones received.
>
> I thought we'd begun to move beyond this sort of thing, but I must say
> that after watching the ceremonies on Monday, I'm not so optimistic. Any
> young African-Americans (or Latinos, or Asian-Americans, etc.) who also

Freida Lee Mock accepted the award for the documentary MAYA LIN: A STRONG
CLEAR VISION. (Not sure whether you were referring to "major" awards.)
I'm also not sure why you're complaining of "atrocity" now, and not after
the nominations, or indeed about the industry as a whole.

Sidenote: most Asian Americans omit the hyphen.

Peter Feng