SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 17:08:14 CST
[log in to unmask] states:
<< I don't understand why you'd choose a lesser school than the
<< best. Only the four schools you mention will give you the
<< panache that a Harvard law degree gives a lawyer, if you catch << my
drift.

It's a pretty bold statement to comment that any other schools but the big
four are lesser. I think film is a field quite distinctive from law. You
don't go into the film industry and get a job just because of the school you
went to(or at least that's what I've been told-correct me if you are in a
better position to know and disagree). You have to be individually talented
and willing to work. As far as I have been educated a degree in film is just
a piece of paper. The education you get should be more important than where
you get it. While getting a degree from the big four may mean a lot to you, I
really don't think that it will mean a lot in terms of where you go in the
film industry. As far as I am aware, the film industry is about knowing what
you are doing and being willing to do anything and get off your butt and work
for everything you get. If the big four can somehow teach you that better
than anyone else, than great, but I think a lot more than those four film
schools can do that just as well. Some don't have the alumni lists, but hey,
alumni doesn't make anyone a better filmmaker.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I just think going somewhere due to name and
supposed panache would be a mistake.