SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 5

Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 16:08:33 CST

ok, ok, ok...enough already...so now I'm stuck in the 19th century with
visions of "romantic aesthetics". Yup...I guess it really JUST DOESN'T MATTER
what the hell the actual author of a piece of work was TRYING to say. It only
matters what a bunch of bookworms THINK the artist was trying to say.

Look, we could debate this till the proverbial cows go to Memphis, but when
it comes down to it, the only analysis of a piece of work is that which an
individual viewer/audience makes. I see blue, you see green. What makes one
interpertation better or more accurate than the other? There ARE NO ABSOLUTES
in art. Both opinions are valid and have merit and are worth consideration. I
personally would just place more merit on the definition of a piece of work
from it's creator, rather than from somone not assoiciated with the project.
But that's just me, and who's to say my opiniopn is less valid than anyone
else's? (except maybe Alison)

That being said...I gonna go talk tech with the people on the production
newsgroups....

Mike