SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

From:
Bjorn Aas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 17:01:46 CST
Freelancer wrote:

>The biggest problem I have with analysis of another person's artistic work
>is that very often others read meanings into a project that simply aren't
>there.

Sometimes artists or other persons expressing themselves unwillingly
includes elements into their expression they don't fully comprehend
themselves. It can be beautiful, but also very contrary to what they set out
to do. And make them very mad at interpretations and analysis of their work.

A group of my students made a 30 sec video on womens need to challenge men,
and set up a female student kicking a soccer ball against a wall of five
male students. They were surprised to hear about their _anti-racist_ video,
and after reexamining the tape they found in the middle of the human wall an
student of Indian origin. The camerawork and cutting made him the focus of
the conflict, and voila: the message was dramatically different.

This is actually a case of bad craftmanship, but the same problem will often
arise in cross-cultural communication. Others read your statements different
than you because they _mean_ different things to them. -Is the solution to
ban unwanted audiences from receiving your artistic expression, to water
down your expression so all can understand, or to accept that others may
have a different language and therefore receive an other meaning than
intended? It could even have more impact than you had expected!

Bjorn Aas, TV-lecturer
Danvik Folkehogskole, N-3046 Drammen, Norway
Tel: ..47 3283 1290  Fax: ..47 3289 1245 E-mail [log in to unmask]