SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 1995 11:26:57 CST
Sorry for a delayed respone, but I just started clearing out a backlog of
mail. I have owned the RCA DSS Satelite System since the end of December. It
is installed in my home theater (1990 vintage 45" Mitsubishi Projection TV,
Laserdisc, Surround Sound & SVHS VCR). I can attest that the picture and
sound qualitu is equal to laserdisk if wired through and to an sVHS connedted
TV (seperated luminence and chrominance).

The actual program quality is (as in laserdisks) dependent upon the quality
of the original and/or transfer of the program. 450 lines of snow, shadow and
distortion free picture are available, as is CD quality sound. I live on the
west coast and at times during heavy (very heavy) storms find that the signal
can sometimes get blocked on certain channels. Since it is digital the sound
and picture are basically an all or nothing deal. I may be able to improve on
this by finely tuning the antennea more.

Since this system is prepped for future HDTV there are few drawbacks beyond
purchase price. One can pick and choose which channels they want and
therefore can arrange a cost to suit taste and budget. Monthly costs are
about the same as regular cable in my area and it is well worth it for the
quantum leap increase in picture and sound quality, especially for a large
TV.

There are over 150 channels available (with the potentail for 1000.)
Unfortunately there is a large gap of quality programming out there, as with
regular cable.

Good Luck

Doug Magnon