SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

From:
Jajasoon Tlitteu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 14:46:05 CST
Bergman Bergman Bergman - from the early comedies to the mid & late heavy
stuff, it's all Bergman.  I think Midsummer's Night Sex Comedy is virtually
a remake of Smiles on a Summer Night, but don't hold me to that one.

Love & Death, besides tons of Bergman references / parodies (Wheat, wheat,
fields of wheat, cream of wheat), obviously draws from the Russian novel
tradition - specifically Tolstoy & Doestoevsky.

Play it Again Sam is obviously a direct dialogue with Casablanca & other
Bogart films.

I'd imagine that any of his films is rooted at the core to some other
source, literary or filmic.  Often he refers to himself & his previous work
overtly or covertly (see Stardust Memories).  Hope this has been mildly
helpful.

********
jajasoon tlitteu  ([log in to unmask])

"You've probably heard that Microsoft has recently taken over the Catholic
Church. The Vatican was pleased, saying, 'Well, we've been using icons for
over 2000 years, and Microsoft has only been using them for 3, so we figure
we'll be able to help them out a bit.'"