SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Scott Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 1995 15:37:03 CST
        On a practical level it seems that the use of surround sound
technologies is a means of enhancing the cinema experience in comparison
to television. I agree with Don Larsson's contention (if I am
interpreting it correctly) that it relates to the increase in sound which
surrounds our lives and the increasing spectacalization of stage (Cats,
Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon etc., ad nauseum) and other
entertainment forms.
        On a more theoretical level it would appear to adhere to notions
of suture. The surround sound pulls us in to the cinema experience (not
always successful as you have noted for shoebox style theatres) allowing
us to feel a part of what takes place on screen. The loud soundtracks of
action films, especially at times of heightened action, actually have a
bodily effect. The same is true to some degree in Higher Learning, where
the heavy bass sounds in the party scenes can be felt by the audience as
they would be by the characters on screen.
                                                Scott Henderson