SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
"Tonelli, Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 12:00:45 CST

>But, I would caution my academic friends -- if we get all worked up over
>NEA or PBS or NEH, aren't we allowing ourselves to be distracted from the
>key fights which involve the total restructuring of the government and the
>end of wellfare as we know it. I worry a bit more about teen mothers who
lack
>a means to support their family than I do English professors at elite
> institutions who have to look
>elsewhere for grants. Newt has done a brillant job of creating a diversion
>at the time when thinking leftists out to be engaged in the big fight.

Reminder: It's not only "English professors at elite institutions" that
are being funded by the NEA, NEH and PBS. Many of us are working
stiffs, holding down day-jobs, raising families, and indulging our
all-consuming passion of providing quality television programming
on (perhaps academic) subjects like women's history who appeal
to these government agencies for money. You don't need a degree
to get funded, produce films, or enjoy watching the stuff that's
broadcast on public television!