SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 11:43:43 CST
ummm, from one who does it to who who wants to learn about it.....

What do you mean "light as a symbol"? Light is used by DP's like paint is
used by a painter, or pencils by a cartoonist, or clay to a sculptor. Light
is a medium that we use to get our message across, not THE message itself
like your title implys. Light is used to create mood, time of day, etc. It's
EFFECTIVE use is the goal of every DP and Gaffer/LD.

As far as books go, check out the film section in your library or local
bookstore. Look at anything about cinematography, NOT about directing or
writing etc...

Good luck...if you have access to AOL, look at the Cinematography & Gaffers
forums in Hollywood online, Below the line talk....