SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 5

From:
Peter Bergting <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 12:02:06 CST

Freelancr wrote in reply to Post-Industrial:

>Please to always remember when critizing something that someone made/woked
on
>as not being art simply because they were contracted to do it...

>MICHAELANGELO was ORDERED to paint the Sistene Chapel.....

>Now as far as over-analizing weather or not Music Vidos fall into the
>"post-industrial" whatever catagory...STOP NOW! anatytical discussions on
art
>take away from the work. Music vidoes are simply there for people to enjoy
as
>a representation of the artist's (the Dir, DP, Musician) vision...simply
>that...don't put more into it/them than they diserve...it's not worth it.

Working as an illustrator I know exactly what you mean. But there's always
the feeling
that you are prostituting yourself when you are doing something for money.
OK, so you are
doing a work of art when you create, but if you have a really snazzy idea
that you'd like
to incorporate into the production, you'll see exactly how much your artists
input is worth if
they don't like it.
Now I would never think of my own work as not being art just because I make
money on it,
but the finished work (illustrations in my case) are there to sell a product,
not for their
own sake. As for Michaelangelo; I have seen the Sistene Chapel and the
paintings are
truly beautiful - but they are there to sell the Church, nothing more...
I don't think the problem lies whether one should criticize or not, but
instead of how you
should do it. Critique should be built on arguments to perhaps make the work
reach new heights (or lows). Interpreting and analyzing is one way of perhaps
making people understand and see things they didn't see at the first glance.

As for music videos.
Why don't you think it's worth analyzing music videos. As much as they are a
representation
of the artist's or directors vision they are also individual pieces of art.
If your argument should be taken further, one would have to say that your
average movie isn't worth analyzing just because it is a representation of
its director or producers vision. Would you say that typical films by auteurs
like Hitchcock, Greenberg, Godard, Chaplin etc are not worth analyzing?
OK, so I may be a bit unfair here but the points is that one should not
generalize - ever.
As for post-industrialism. You are not the first to criticize my approach to
the subject - but a few people have actually joined me in my quest.
Post-modernism isn't dead or anything but there are movements out there that
need to be defined. Why? Simply because I find it interesting - nothing more!