SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 5

Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 11:56:50 CST
Spoiler: The film "White" in the trilogy "Blue" "White" "Red"

After viewing Kieslowski's "White" the other night, I found myself mightily
impressed with the way the camera work enhanced the storytelling, but I was a
bit confused by the ending and wonder if others could be of help. Obviously,
Karol still has deep feelings about Dominique or he wouldn't be crying as he
looks up at her in her prison window. I am assuming that he arranged his
"death" to draw her to Warzaw to be able to see her one last time, but he
also seems to have had some desire then to make his point about being a
potent fellow after all (by sleeping with her) and then seems to have wanted
to show her that he calls the shots, so he leaves her there in the hotel
room. Has he set her up for arrest, or is that simply an ironic offshoot of
his staging his death? If the latter is true, his crying at the end makes a
lot more sense to me than if he set her up. (It suggests his willingness to
forgive her earlier behavior, which, I will have to admit, seems poorly
explained in the film. She is certainly handy with a lighter, though.) Is
he making nightly visits to the prison simply to look at her and hoping to
spring her, eventually, or is he leaving Poland at the end? The nightly
visit notion would add to the irony of his situation, but why is he packing a
lunch, so to speak. To give to her? Is the "light at the end of the tunnel"
mentioned by the lawyer more than just recouping his money? Is it an effort
to spring her from prison? That would add a romantic touch. But I'm still
wondering about her sudden rediscovery of compassion for him. A graveside
conversion? I did hear once in a rock 'n roll song that love is strange.

Dan Gribbin [log in to unmask]
Ferrum College
Ferrum, VA 24088