SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
Jajasoon Tlitteu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 19:47:41 CST
Susan Crutchfield was saying how she hated this film because of the lack of
horrific reflection implicit in the film, the humorous rapport the audience
feels with the girls, and general problematic positioning (I hope I haven't
misinterpreted).  Personally, these were all strengths for me.  We couldn't
look at them and say "They're evil" or "I'd never act like that."  Up until
the murder, every action & fantasy seems to be justifiable and make "sense"
(whatever that means).  Two women I saw it with both said that they could
totally relate to much of the girls' experiences.  So I think we are
supposed to position ourselves with them and participate in their actions.
Until the murder that is.

I didn't think they came off as "insane" (as Anne Perry asserts was true).
And thus the most disturbing thing that I felt about the film (and the
"true" events surrounding it) was that there was no "reason" for why they
killed someone and most people don't.  I respect Peter Jackson (director)
for not providing one simple reason.  There are many causes pointed at, but
no pat answers.  That's quite refreshing to see in a film.  And quite
disturbing too as you ask yourself why you wouldn't kill the mother and
can't find a reason that they would & you wouldn't.

Great film.  Keep talking.

********
jajasoon tlitteu  ([log in to unmask])

"Academic training was instrumental.  You have to understand the language
of society before you can start stretching and subverting it and ripping
and tearing it and burning it and watching the plastic drip on the ants."