SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 3

From:
"D. S. Cunningham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 14:01:17 CST
the 1/13 episode went much further in the overall narrative than a woman in
peril. One, Scully is flashing back to something bigger, possibly about her
abduction earlier in the season. It is still unclear whether it was ETs or
the secret para-military group who have dogged Scully and Mulder's efforts
since they met. Two, her trip to the "counselor" about her uneasiness, her
need to protect, and to keep from placing Mulder ("Don't call me Fox")
in the position of being *her* protector. This is an important point
in the development of their relationship.

While I agree the show is not appropriate for every 10 year old, there
is an avid fan group of young x-philes posting on the usenet group
alt.tv.x-files, a very lively bunch of rabid fans.

of which I am one. The gender relations on the show are like nothing
I've ever seen on series television. Scully is my hero. The show is
uneven, but addicting.

Donna Cunningham
University of Southern California