SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 2

From:
G E Bester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 14:52:30 CST
I would like to introduce myself for the first time to this list
My first digest I received contained this stiking account of life in South
Africa.

I read your post with wonder like it must have originated on another planet.

It still seems that I was living in a dream world these last 20 years.
The system cant just be over just like that. To me it took forever then it
was so " quick " why did it take so long I ask myself and what was the
breakeven point.

The internet only really opened up to commerce and ordinary folks in South
Africa this past year. I wonder what the Old State would have been able to
do about it back then. Confiscate your computer, close down the netywork
provider. The thought to you people out there seems ridiculous but I tell
you a stark reality out here. I was reading an old " 1987 leadership book "
only this weekend and one of the features was how the "Parliment" had
allocated more powers to the then White minister of Home Affairs " to
close down publications. People were asking cant they do that already.

Last year the NEW Black minister of Home Affairs together with his " Old
"white police bodyguards was seen rushing into a live news broadcast and
disrupting the interview with one of his bitter rivals. Somebody even
brandished a firearm.

Folks things are kind of complicated out here in the new south africa..

   george * * __
 * / BESTWARE: Interactive Touchscreen Multimedia\ \ *
* /Sun,Surf,Wine,Table Mountain & 2004 Olympics? \ \
  ___/ e-mail = ( [log in to unmask]) \ \___ *