SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 1994 14:58:17 CST
Author:  NORMAN TAYLOR <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 12/22/94 10:32 AM

[Editor's note: This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Gene Stavis writes in response to the question about early science fiction
films, that "Aelita, Queen of Mars" was so popular that soviet women took
up the name, Aelita. I'm curious about where this info came from. As far
as I understood it, the film was not a great success and direcor, Protazanov,
was vilified because the film set a revolution on Mars, suggesting that it was
an unrealistic and fanciful hope that any real change could result from
such an upheaval. Indeed Queen Aelita herself is shown to be a selfish
and unworthy figure, finally destroyed by the central male character
who has coveted her attentions. Why would soviet women want to allign
themselves with such a figure? And if they did, was this another reason for the
authorities to condemn the movie? Does anyone have any info on this?

Norman Taylor
South Bristol College
UK