SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 17:19:04 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/16/94 5:04 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Having read with interest the many postings on this subject, I felt obliged
to relate a couple of incidents which may be trivial, but relate nonetheless.
 In my sophmore year of high school I remember taking a date - much against
my parents' wishes - to see 'Saturday Night Fever' at the local movie house.
 My clearest memory of the experience was watching the boom mic shoot back
and forth across the top of the frame during the films final scene.  A
not-very-memorable film was made memorable by the un-suspending of disbelief.
Now I understand.

Recently a film made by a friend of mine was screened at an art house in
Northern Ireland.  His was a documentary shot in standard aspect-ratio 16mm
while many other films in the series were dramas filmed in the wide screen
more familiar to the theatre-goers.  After the screening my friend was
surprised by more than one comment on his innovative use of "square
pictures."  Imagine, letter-boxing the SIDES of the frame! ;-}

Regards and thanks for the interesting posts!
S. McCarthy