SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 17:54:31 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date: 12/15/94 11:01 AM

[Editor's note: This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Joe Swift writes:
"This year, it seems to have lost that balance. The whole storyline involving
integration of Rome's schools seemed awfully didactic to me. Some of the
characters' actions seemed untrue to their personas; the military standoff at
the school when the first busloads of kids from Green Bay arrived was over the
top. The writing has seemed forced and predictable, rather than organic."

I have to agree that I found the confrontation initially offputting, but in
retrospect, and as the story thread continues to evolve, I have found it
interesting as a deliberate attempt by the show to open issues that are
rarely discussed in prime-time series. The overreaction of "good" Dr. Jill
and the somewhat hesitant willingness to go along of "good" Sheriff Jimmy
seemed to me to attempt to portray the symptomatic assumptions of some
"liberals" who will criticize from afar but cry "NIMBY" when issues become
too close.
 In dramatic terms, there seems to be a delibeate decision to shift
 the show's emphasis from the Brocks to other, more peripheral characters,
including the black DA, who's starting to evolve in interesting ways. At
any rate, I've found it typical of the show that just when you think a
character is safely slotted into a predictable type (a la Bochco shows),
a new dimension is revealed. Even Carter Pike may become a serious
person after all.

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN