SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 16:56:26 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask] (Allan Siegel)
Date:    12/15/94 8:29 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

>Author:  Gloria Monti
>
>> Guy Debord was 37 during the French uprising of 1968, or the Chicago
>> Democratic Convention, or the Chinese Cultural Revolution or lots of other
>> moments in a year when a popular motto was,
>>  "Don't trust anyone over thirty!"
>
> I was thinking about this just the other day, wile reading a piece
>on the anniversary of the Berkeley uprising.  How can one still believe
>the dictum, once they *are* over thirty?
>
>> > So why suicide at 62, was he
>ill? > Was he trying to push the greatness that comes at the end of life?
>
> Why Christian Metz?  Why Claire Johnston?  Why do these great film
>theorists take their lives?

To follow on Gloria Monti's comments:
Guy Debord was one of the true visionaries of the 60's. The conceptual
language of the situationists and their description of a malignant
transnational reality appeared in sharp contrast with the hackneyed rhetoric
and analyses of old-guard leftists (in Europe and the United States). He
understood the moment and envisioned the future. There was (and still is) a
frightening delirium to the world he amagined AND ALSO MUCH BEAUTY. Contained
within his life was a fragile, delicate balance.
Allan Siegel