SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 18:32:17 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date: 12/20/94 11:55 AM

[Editor's note: This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Gloria Monti writes:
"> Walter Benjamin took
> his life when faced with the prospect of capture by the Nazis. I have nbo
> idea what motivated Metz, DeBord or others, but have to regard their actions
> with a mixture of sadness and respect.

 Not the same, my friend. Really not the same. Primo Levi, who
survived the holocaust, also took his life thirty years later. I believe
history is on the side of Benjamin&Levi, but not on the side of Metz--not
with the same degree of magnitude. "

I know they are not the same. My point was only that people may take their
lives for many different reasons--I honestly have no idea what motivated
Metz or DeBord, although I know about Levi.

There's also the pain of chance--consider that Camus and Barthes were both
killed by traffic accidents. Fate sucks.

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN