SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 08:55:43 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask] (Jajasoon Tlitteu)
Date: 12/13/94 12:50 AM

[Editor's note: This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

I commend Jeremy for his "not squashing" of the Prop 187 Petition and his
reasons for doing so. Personally, I don't see the reason for hesitancy
(and I certainly don't see the reasons for Larry Jarvik's gripes). Prop 187
was not "simply" a piece of legislation or a "partisan political
initiative." It's passing was dependent on its mediation through the press
and television. While this petition was not directly related to the
televisual aspects of the legislation, you cannot separate the law from its
mediation; therefore discussing the law is discussing its mediation.

I was particularly bewildered by this part of LJ's disgruntlement:

>Signing such a petition, I am sure, will discredit the reputation of any film
>or television scholar who is foolish enough to participate, since it would
>reveal a lack of prudence.

Huh? What type of prudence does this lack? As a person you can express
you opinion, as a scholar you can do the same! How is LJ so "sure" that
signing such a petition would discredit ones reputation? If you're going
to blast someone's actions, at least justify your critique!

 Since when does a scholar only have authority to discuss their specific
field of study? Even if you disagree with me above that Prop 187 is
inexplicitly linked to our field of study, this was obviously a case of one
group of scholars trying to pass along their information to another - I
passed it along to other maillists as well. After all, if Newt can tell us
all to rent Boystown, we can certainly tell him where to shove his racist &
unconstitutional law!

********
jajasoon tlitteu ([log in to unmask])

"Academic training was instrumental. You have to understand the language
of society before you can start stretching and subverting it and ripping
and tearing it and burning it and watching the plastic drip on the ants."