SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 09:53:49 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask] (edwin jahiel) at SMTP-LINK
Date:    12/10/94 3:47 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, not by Jeremy Butler.]

Excuse what may well be questions by a novice.
I notice that having resumed your refereeing you have added :
[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, not by Jeremy Butler.]
...which helps with at-a-glance ID of the writer and eliminates some
confusion in newcomers who might think tha Jeremy Butler sure is  prolific
fellow.

I wish some other IDs were avaiable too. On my Eudora e-mail program, when
I get a message or several from Screen-L,that is, before I open it (them),
I see "Jeremy Butler"in the column "who" (sender), the date in column
"date" and the subject in column "subject." The last one helps, but I
cannot quickly ID the writer at that point. And when I transfer some
messages to other mailboxes, say, "political films" I still cannot ID the
writers.

Can something be done about this?

Also, I am often perplexed by the various schools (or organizations) in
e-mail addresses. My own might puzzle person who do not know that
"uiuc.edu" is the Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Can something be done about this too?

And to add a suggestion, if, under subject, one can manage to be more
explicit within the length limitations,that would be welcome too. For
example instead of X putting in just "John Ford" s/he might say "John Ford
Cavalry Trilogy."

Since my questions are naive (or are they?) and since I don't want to look
like a babe in the woods, I am not going public with this posting. If,
however, you think that they are valid, please feel free to post them to
the entire list.

Thanks in advance,

Edwin Jahiel, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign