SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Edmond Chibeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 17:06:36 -0600

>_My So-Called Life_, the ABC drama (Thursdays, 8-9 pm).

Some things Kal Alton said were;  ... My own informal surveying indicates
that women in the 25-40 age bracket are great fans of the show--if they can
watch it. The writer (Winnie Holtzman) is tapping in to our memories, our
anxieties, our lives in a real dynamic way...  I too am worried about its
prospect for the future.  I never write letters to networks, but I actually
am considering it in this case.

>kal

I agree with serveral "posters" includint Kal that "My so Called Life" is
excellent TV, and that the time slot makes it hard to see ( I guess I could
program my VCR).  I think My So Called Life is well written and well directed
It catches the moment.  As a middle age male I suppose I am not in the
target demographics for this show, but good writing, directing and acting
will always find a small number of adherents, across all demographics.  Part
of rataionalizing the audience is to teach it to respond to repeatable
industrialized cues: "sports" = guys and beer; "sex and violence" = 18-49
male, and increasingly female as well; "Sax and violins" = upscale but
older, let PBS hav 'em.
 But revealing intimate moments of human psychology can't be rationalized
and placed on the cultural conveyor belt at regular intervals, so it makes
good economic sence to get rid of them and train the audience to discount
them.  Train the audience to ask "What is it about?" rather than "How well
is it done?" to seek spectacle rather than insight, to seek recognizable
stars rather than recognizable nuances of human behavior.
Edmond Chibeau