SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Arthur Lizie Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 21:52:48 -0500
An obvious choice is _Do The Right Thing_, but it's more concerned with
gettin' at The Man than in any socio-strucutral analysis.  Paul
Schrader's _Blue Collar_ is an excellent strucutural analysis of the
labor/class problem.  It avoids the "Great Man" (if you'll excuse the
expression) to a similar problem in say, _Norma Rae_.  Frears' _Sammi and
Rosie Get Laid_ and _My Beautiful Laundrette_, both collaborations with
Hanif Kureishi, have some interesting intersections of labor/race/class.
_Salt of the Earth_ also has an interesting look at labor unrest.  For an
indictment of labor, try _That's Alright, Jack_, in which a member of the
leisure class "comically" has to slum with labor.  I guess my tendencies
here, not surprisingly, are toward British film, which often seems to have a
much more acute sense of the connectedness of human experience vs. the
individuation of American film.

arthur