SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 1994 16:41:45 CST
On Sat, 3 Dec 1994 05:53:44 -1000 Emily Zants said:
>        This last semester I used a program called "Caucus" to get the
>students to explore the relationship between the work of literature (it
>was a course on novels as film) and film.  Using Michel Butor's concept
>of literary "collages", some students were assigned the "item" input of
>paragraphs from the text that they liked and that seemed missing in the
>film.  Then all the other students were to respond to those quotations
>with either cultural artifacts, film references or quotes or characters,
>or commentary.  The nature of the "items" could be varied depending on
>the nature of the course, etc.

Hmmmm, Emily, this sparks an idea...

I wonder what possibilities this sort of participatory exercise
might have for the World Wide Web.  One could conceivably construct a
collage of text and images (and even sounds) on a Web site.  It could
develop in a linear fashion or it could bounce around via hypertext
links (using HTML).

That is, person A could put a document on a Web site.  Then person B
could add a document (text, image, whatever) that links to the first
document.  (Like the old surrealist game of the Elusive Corpse.)
Person C could add to that and on and on.  It could tell a story or
free associate or...?

Does anyone know of Web sites with this sort of collective collage?
Seems like something like this is going on on HotWired, but I haven't
explored it very much.

I'm in the process of constructing a Web site:  SCREENsite.  And I'm
more than open to projects along these lines.  If you've got a thought,
give me a buzz...

P.S.  SCREENsite ought to be open "officially" in January.

P.P.S.  Thanks, Emily for sending a syllabus.  If anyone would like to
contribute a syllabus, we're still looking for more!

----------
          When from a long distant past nothing subsists, after the
          things are broken and scattered, still, alone, more fragile,
          but with more vitality, more unsubstantial, more persistent,
          more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a
          long time, like souls, ready to remind us, waiting and hoping
          for their moment, amid the ruins of all the rest; and bear
          unfaltering, in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their
          essence, the vast structure of recollection.
                                       --Marcel Proust, "Swann's Way"

| Jeremy Butler - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                                                   |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |