SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 21:20:42 -0800
On the TV scale of greatness, _My So-Called Life_ is indeed a great show
(with the occasional exception of the parents' characters -- somebody's
trying too hard where they're concerned).  But the portrayal of the
teens' lives is sometimes pretty gripping; all those things people take
too seriously in high school are treated with amazing respect and
compassion in this show.  And Angela's two best friends are played
incredibly well; I agree it's great to see a bi/gay character who's more
than one-dimensional, but I hope (if the show doesn't get axed) they
supply him with some romance of his own so that the character doesn't get
stuck in "eternally wistful" mode. It may not be high art, but it's
sweet, and so far not a single episode has hinged on the discovery of
alien life-forms in vats or a diagnosis of Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy.

Anne Nesbet