SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Susan Denker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 23:47:07 -0500
> We are planning a film series for spring which deals with social issues
> and need suggestions for popular films, preferably recent ones, which
> deal with issues of class in some respect, e.g., labor, capitalism, class
> discrimination...

 Many of my favorites were already recommended, but I would add:
 Ousmane Sembene BLACK GIRL
 Euzhan Palcy A DRY WHITE SEASON
 Euzhan Palcy SUGARCANE ALLEY
 Mira Nair SALAAM BOMBAY
 The point of adding any of these is that you shouldn't have an all-white
film series. These all bring race into the discussion (as do many of the
others already suggested.)

Last,but not least, a golden oldie that can be read this way in the
context of such a series: STAGECOACH

I'd love to know what you finally decide to run.