SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 4

From:
Mikel Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 1994 17:23:24 CST
OK.  Time for me to de-lurk (apropos for this topic).

For me, Mary Shelly's novel cannot be divorced from either Ms. Shelly's
upbringing as "proto-feminist" (i.e. Mary Godwin's daughter) nor from the
novel's Romantic roots.  The images which stand out in my mind from the
book, which are actually combinations of images and fanciful imaginings -
however exemplify the novel's ethos, are of the monster, on top of the
mountain, cursing God and his creator.  Compare then, Frankenstein with
Lord Byron's Manfred, which also has that same Romantic primal scream.  I
thought that Branagh brought to life (pardon the pun, unintentional I
assure you) this Romantic passion quite well.

Frankenly (intentional pun, which I probably shouldn't have made),
Branagh is one of my favorite directors working today.  Yes, I think his
Frank is his weakest film, probably due to too much Hollywood interference.

Just my half asleep and very hung-over thoughts this AM,

Mikel Koven