SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 4

From:
J Roberson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 12:31:16 CST
>The feeling on leaving the theatre was that there were no easy answers.

>The film made no statement about political correctness, about how it was
>good to be gay, or a transsexual, or a cross-dresser.  If anything, people
>were very much the same in their hopes and dreams, and frustrations.  They

I think that's what I liked the most about the movie. I myself am
transgendered yet I don't feel isolated from humanity - the specifics of
the issues are different, but the overall (to use your words) hopes,
dreams, frustrations and the struggle to deal with them is something that
we all have in common.

>dealt with their problems in inadequate, yet ways that were represented as
>_human_.  I guess the only bit that might be regarded as a bit of preaching

Maybe that's the point we're at - learning to deal with our own
imperfection. I like to think that this is the most self-conscious society
that has ever been - psychoanalysis, talk shows, and a plethora of
information and the means to retrieve it have made it nigh impossible to do
anything without considering the options and ramifications of our
decisions.

>was the episode of the son, who accepted everyone no matter what their
>level of queerdom.

I kind of liked that bit - I didn't think it was too preachy at all. It
seemded a little quick, coming at the end of the movie, but I liked what it
showed.

>The _poofter-bashing_ continues, but he/she was a fool to go there anyway.

Exactly! While I would quickly condone the redneck's attitude, I would hold
Adam equaly responsible for what occured. After all, he admits earlier in
the film that he likes to piss people off.

>Interestingly, we need no Robocop to shoot the assaulter's testicles off;
>just a post-op transsexual.  Quite capable of doing a good job, thank you
>very much.

You mean transsexuals aren't superhuman beings ? ;) (*humor*)

>So now for some vaguely pretentious stuff:  The film is a postmodern road
>film.  The bus, painted its fairly horrible puce, was the counterpoint to
>the juggernauts of the Mad Max (aka Road Warriors I think), as were the
>characters.  Yet they were never oversize.  So much for the postmodern bit.

Hmm. . .I think it's getting compared to the Mad Max films because of the
country it came from. I agree, though, that it is a road movie. . .Expand
the comparison to Thelma & Louise. Most road movies are a couple of guys.
T&L changes the sex of the characters. Priscilla has two men who dress &
dance as women and one man who has become (for most practical purposes) a
woman.

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems cruel and harsh.
Says he feels all alone in a threatening world, where what lies ahead is
vague and uncertain. Doctor says treatment is simple. "Great clown
Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up".
        Man bursts into tears. "But Doctor. . .I am Pagliacci."
J Roberson      [log in to unmask]        [log in to unmask]